# Release 3.3.0
Name: "onion ring peru flash"
This release includes a long list of useful feature enhancements for our Enterprise and Open Source versions of Rundeck. Enhanced Scheduling Options take job schedules from simple time based runs to comprehensive schedule based executions. Guided Tours are now natively available in the product to guide users through Rundeck processes. New plugins for managing users, managing nodes, and organizing jobs also streamline administration tasks. Rundeck 3.3.0 has a whole new engine behind the scenes (Grails 4, Log4J2, Gradle 5, OAuth2, Spring 5, etc.) and now supports Java 11.
# Enhanced Scheduling Options (Enterprise)
Schedules can be configured independently from jobs as stand-alone schedules to centralize the management of how often jobs run.
Calendars takes the Schedules offering to a level above time based execution to true Schedule based executions. Define Ad-Hoc Calendars and let Rundeck know when a job is allowed to run or might be blacked out.
# Guided Tour Manager (Enterprise)
A new Rundeck Guided Tours Manager provide an authoring environment to build customizable, interactive walk-throughs to end users to help demonstrate Rundeck processes. Tours can be used as guidance for first-time users getting familiar with the system, or provide step-by-step instructions for how to execute longer processes. Tours can now be managed in product with a new UI/Markdown editor to design tour definitions. Guided Tours can be built as System Tours and are available to all projects or Project Tours and tied to that individual project. As part of this Enterprise update Tours are stored in the Rundeck database so they are easily shared to all members in clustered environments.
# New Log Viewer
A completely re-architected Log Viewer loads job activity faster with improved usability options. Along with significant performance improvements the new log viewer includes light/dark theme options, and no longer takes over the browser while loading large job output. There is also the ability to send a URL that link directly to specific lines in the output to streamline collaborative troubleshooting.
# User/Group Management Wizard (Enterprise)
Rundeck user accounts can now be added/managed directly in the Enterprise version of Rundeck. Define local users and groups quickly and easily from the new User Manager administration interface.
# Node Wizard Plugin (Enterprise)
New Node Wizard plugin is built-in to Rundeck Enterprise for managing node entries local to Rundeck. The node data is stored in the Rundeck database for easy sharing in clustered environments. The plugin can still merge values with other Node Sources but offer direct value settings with a friendly GUI based interface. No need to write complicated JSON/YAML for local Node Sources!
# Job Tags
Use Job Tags to take your Runbook organization to a new level. Quickly find jobs based on keywords chosen for each job.
# API Enhancements
A new License Status API has been added to allow programmatic checking of your instance license status.
# Extensive Engine Enhancements
Significant updates to the backend offer performance increases and improved security options. Below are the high level highlights:
- Backend updated to Grails 4 which now support Java 11.
- Spring Security 5 upgrade including OAuth2 updates. (Be sure to read docs for changes required when upgrading)
- Logging system upgraded to Log4J2 (opens new window) (Be sure to read docs for changes required when upgrading)
# Docker Updates
- Base image updated to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
- OpenJDK 11 is the installed JVM
3.3.0 and on the official Docker images will be based on Ubuntu 18.04 and OpenJDK 11.
With open JDK 11 a new, more flexible max heap setting is available:
This will set the max heap size to a percentage of the available RAM in the running container.
The default is
A significant documentation revamp was done as part of the 3.3.x release. It can be found here (opens new window) and covers all the new features and functionality.
Notices for future changes that may require code changes.
11 will become the minimum version in a future release: Rundeck
Clients specifying API versions below the Deprecation version should upgrade to use it as the minimum version before then.
# Additional Improvements
- Better spring security integration. (opens new window)
- Fix issue/1019 where running jobs is aways zero even if there are jobs running. (opens new window)
- Tours enhancement (opens new window)
- Avoiding loading all plugins whenever a method needs to search for a plugin description (opens new window)
- Ability to load framework properties from the app config sources. (opens new window)
- Update docker to use log42. (opens new window)
- Fix the Japanese translation of "retry" (opens new window)
- Docker - Update to Ubuntu 18.04 and OpenJDK 11 (opens new window)
- Use spring loaded instead of dev tools (opens new window)
- Build ui-trellis as subproject (opens new window)
- FileSystem Key Storage permissions (opens new window)
- Fix java 11 illegal reflective access warnings (opens new window)
- Fix #6065 plugin values should be shown in multivalued list (opens new window)
- Migrate Vue build to @vue/cli (opens new window)
- Fix incorrect height for sidebar wrapper (opens new window)
- App version display update (opens new window)
- Log 4j2 support (opens new window)
- Grails 4 Upgrade (opens new window)
- Fix an issue that caused job execution to get stuck inside a loop when an exception was thrown from a log event call (opens new window)
- Docker - Update Ubuntu LTS to 18.04 (opens new window)
- Remove rd-acl (opens new window)
- Rundeck secrets are group and world readable (opens new window)
- Main screen sticks when non-admin user log in (opens new window)
- Fix for rundeckpro/969 job list paging (opens new window)
- Fix #6174 broken ui without legacy feature flag config (opens new window)
- Docker - Add supplemental roles to ldap config (opens new window)
- Fix for the 404 causing a 500 issue (opens new window)
- Docker - Process passwd update through /tmp for random uid (opens new window)
- tours enhancement 3 (opens new window)
- Set project storage to use db by default (opens new window)
- Fix #6160 ui plugin detail not showing (opens new window)
- Fix #6158 should not set incorrect project.name (opens new window)
- Filesystem project storage: project.name property can get set incorrectly (opens new window)
- New Execution viewer release work (opens new window)
- Quell a common grails/spring bean warning (opens new window)
- fix issue 5730: It's a workaround to allow calc metrics when database does not support sql contained within the criteria. (opens new window)
- Add creation of rd_base/server/lib directory (opens new window)
- Webhook save must flush the session (opens new window)
- Upgrade py-winrm-plugin to 2.0.7 (opens new window)
- Fix #6139 500 error manually setting project exec disabled property (opens new window)
- Respond with correct content type if server error encountered during request (opens new window)
- Add webhook plugin ability to write to the response stream (opens new window)
- Webhook UUID validation fix (via @laubstein) (opens new window)
- Accept Environment variables optional for jsch executor. fix #4137 (opens new window)
- Handle quartz scheduler failures and log as warning (opens new window)
- Support api versions in semver style format. Update to v35.1 (opens new window)
- New Tours fixes (opens new window)
- Fix issue 1020 - Error handler on failed steps should be executed only in failed nodes (opens new window)
- Docker - Optional bindPassword variable for jass-loginmodule (opens new window)
- Add default result for git-import pull action (opens new window)
- Fixes empty job activity list and webhook RunJob plugin (opens new window)
- Webhook job plugin not allowing custom uuid (opens new window)
- Tour Enhancements in Support of U&U15 (opens new window)
- Docker - Fix templating errors in jaas-login module (opens new window)
- Container JAAS_LDAP optional settings do not result in a valid configuration file (opens new window)
- Use typed configuration for Rundeck configs. (opens new window)
- Failed: SSHProtocolFailure: channel is not opened .... JSCH default timeout (opens new window)
- Fix #4085 empty log file causes NaN in percentLoaded value (opens new window)
- Docker - HOME envar is not set (opens new window)
- Docker - Update server session timeout key (opens new window)
- Fix: schedule takeover results in 0 jobs when it should match (opens new window)
- Fix for LogFileStorage save issue (opens new window)
- Add ability to toggle the workflow config 973 fix in docker. (opens new window)
- Docker - Environment Variable $HOME not set (opens new window)
- rd adhoc fails "com.fasterxml.jackson.core.JsonParseException: Non-standard token 'NaN'" (opens new window)
- Carlos Eduardo (carlosrfranco)
- Christoph Hille (hille721)
- Forrest Evans (fdevans)
- Greg Schueler (gschueler)
- Greg Zapp (ProTip)
- Jaime Tobar (jtobard)
- Laubstein (laubstein)
- Muneyuki Noguchi (mnogu)
- Nick Cammorato (cammoraton)
- Stephen Joyner (sjrd218)
# Bug Reporters