# Release 3.4.0
Name: "Papadum aquamarine book" Release Date: June 15, 2021
- Download Rundeck (opens new window)
- Sign up for Release Notes (opens new window)
- Upgrade instructions
Please be sure to follow the Upgrading Guidance when upgrading to 3.4.0 from a previous version.
This release is packed with exciting new features and enhancements for both Rundeck Enterprise and Open Source. Below are some release highlights. Make sure to read the full release notes to learn more.
UI improvements help make Rundeck more intuitive for new users and further simplify working with Rundeck for experienced users. A new integration with Thycotic enables Rundeck Enterprise users to protect privileged accounts with Thycotic’s enterprise-grade privileged access management solution. New GUI-based Configuration Management, allows Rundeck admins to manage configurations in one screen, within the Rundeck UI. The addition of more granular ACLs, give Rundeck admins the ability to set ACLs on a project, allowing access to keys that the project’s users might need.
# New and Improved UI
The most obvious change in our 3.4 release is the newly refreshed and rebuilt User Interface. Our team focused on Intuitive Usability to design some great new changes into the look and feel of Rundeck. These improvements on the surface are simple artistic changes, but behind them are key functional improvements that simply workflow for users. Here are some highlights:
- New Project Menu: The smaller size opened up a lot more work area allowing Job Writers and Rundeck admins to see more without losing access to the features they need close by. The new menu also has some key functionality to reduce scrolling for buttons as well as allow Rundeck to scale more items into the menu ensuring that all the areas available are highlighted and available on the screen.
- Project Selector: Quickly switching between projects was important to getting work done faster. The new Project Picker in the top navigation allows easy access to your projects at all times and includes a quick search function to find that important project faster.
- Utility Bar: So many systems leverage that simple bit of functionality lurking just off screen quickly ready for when you need it. The Utility Bar in Rundeck 3.4 offers the same functionality. You'll find a few widgets in this release with more to come in the future.
Download this release (opens new window) and check out all the new improvements!
# Configuration Management (Enterprise)
Rundeck prides itself on offering customers the ability to turn a lot of knobs and flip a lot of switches when it comes to features and functionality. That configuration management used to happen on the server console, in text files such as
rundeck-config.properties on the file system. Subsequently many of those settings also required a restart of Rundeck to take effect.
With version 3.4 it is now possible to configure Rundeck within the GUI and many of the settings now do not require a restart. The settings are stored in the Rundeck database so they are also shared across all your cluster members immediately. No need to worry about visiting each server console to update that certain setting for each server in your cluster.
See the full Configuration Management documentation here.
# Job Queuing (Enterprise)
Some technical operations can’t be run in parallel. Depending on the job, if the same one was executed while the previous execution was running, that might create a little havoc on the systems being managed. With Job Queuing when one execution finishes, the next one will start. The ability to queue up all the work that needs to be done at once without risking chaos in production.
Find the Job Queue documentation here.
# Thycotic Key Storage Plugin (Enterprise)
The new Thycotic Key Storage plugin replaces the built-in Key Storage (where Rundeck keeps all your sensitive passwords and certificates) with the Thycotic backend. All your keys that are already in Thycotic are now readily accessible within Rundeck Jobs or for configuring various parts of the system.
Configure Thycotic as your Key Storage Backend here.
# PagerDuty V3 Webhook Signatures (Enterprise)
Rundeck 3.3.6 included a new Webhook Processor for PagerDuty V3 Webhooks. The 3.4.0 release adds new functionality to those webhook processors to add additional validation and security to your webhook calls.
Find the PagerDuty Webhook Signatures Documentation here.
# Project Based ACLs for Key Storage (Enterprise)
Rundeck 3.4 adds new functionality to the Access Control List functionality. Rundeck aims to streamline sharing your Runbook Automation Projects with all your users. Adding Project Level ACLs for the Key Storage component allows Rundeck admins to combine all the important access rights within a project definition, which streamlines adding new users with the appropriate permissions in Rundeck.
Be sure to check out the Upgrade Notes and Documentation for this new feature.
# Other notable improvements
- The JIRA plugins bundled with Enterprise now support tokens over passwords. Please check the Upgrade Notes for important details about them.
bcryptis now supported for password hashes in realm.properties.
# Upgrading to 3.4.0 notes
Be sure to check out all the details in our Upgrading to 3.4 Notes. There are some important notes highlighted below to help prepare for upgrading from our 3.3.x series.
- Removed Support for File System Based project Definitions
- ACL Performance Improvement settings
- Project Based ACLs for Key Storage
- API Version 10 and lower deprecated
- MySQL 5.6 no longer supported
- New Database Migration feature that streamlines upgrades in the future.
- JIRA Plugin Authentication Updates
Remember: Package repositories have moved!
Please read the new instructions for downloading Rundeck from our new package repositories.
# Core Product Updates/Pull Requests
- Fix rundeckpro-1824 ent logstorage config (opens new window)
- fix rundeckpro/rundeckpro#1823 check if sequences (opens new window)
- Remove unused duplicated theme code (opens new window)
- Fix: project ACL change is not refreshed in cluster (opens new window)
- Fix stuck progress bar on oversized logs (opens new window)
- Fix: url mapping for System Report Menu Item (opens new window)
- Fix: externally deleted job not reflected in scm import status (opens new window)
- SCM: Fix job sourceId not appearing in exported file path (opens new window)
- SCM Import: fix import of renamed jobs (opens new window)
- SCM: Loader Fix and Sync Config Changes (opens new window)
- SCM: SCM job import action when both import/export are enabled can show incorrect status (opens new window)
- Fix: deleted jobs not reflected in project synch state (opens new window)
- Kill process when thread for local command is interrupted (opens new window)
- Scm enhancement cleanup (opens new window)
- Scm performance enhancements (opens new window)
- Fix: cannot use context path url with selenium tests (opens new window)
- Fix: #6790 cancel job create/edit with FR/JA lang doesn't work (opens new window)
- Enh: Add button to Commit SCM changes in jobs list page (opens new window)
- Scm loader process (opens new window)
- Fix: Create index for errorHandler on WorkflowStep table to help prevent deadlocks in MSSQL (opens new window)
- Including job list type on parameters when triggering job search (opens new window)
- Updated Messages for ja_JP (Japanese) (opens new window)
- Fix: #6982 plugin meta was not deleted with project (opens new window)
- Fix: Oracle saves empty fields as null and results in bug in comparison code (opens new window)
- Refactor SCM Export/Import to improve response time on job page (opens new window)
- Fix: "Duplicate to other project" option visibility (opens new window)
- Enh: Change default server.address to localhost instead of hostname to generate default rundeck-config.properties (opens new window)
- Adjust style of modal pagination (opens new window)
- Sec: Remove apache httpclient 3.1 (opens new window)
- Adjust Executions Options Section (opens new window)
- Fix: /login/authAjax redirect loop for ajax requests (opens new window)
- Setup release publishing of existing artifacts via OSSHR (opens new window)
- Update Style of Installed Plugins (opens new window)
- Enh: Adding access to Key Storage for Webhook Plugins (opens new window)
- Enhance SCM UI (opens new window)
- Fix: run job error might not seen, replace with modal (opens new window)
- fix: use aclFileManager to read project acls for export (opens new window)
- Fixes arguments of method called to handle schedules from project config API (opens new window)
- retrieving scheduled executions without using cache (opens new window)
- Update tomcat jdbc lib to 9.0.44. (opens new window)
- Handles job pagination (if enabled) on referenced job picker modal (opens new window)
- Add indexes on Execution and LogFileStorageRequest columns that are used in queries. (opens new window)
- Fix for DB migration with MariaDB (opens new window)
- Align asset pipeline plugin versions for all grails plugins. (opens new window)
- fix issue with filter in NOD_FILTER being quoted (opens new window)
- Cleanup: jobs import api endpoint requires apiv14 (opens new window)
- Change text shown when waiting for logs to match UI (opens new window)
- Move System Configuration to a menu item (opens new window)
- Refine Plugin Repository UI (opens new window)
- Remove notificationsEditorVue feature toggle, remove old notifications ui code (opens new window)
- fix #6889 incorrect ids for exclude filter radios (opens new window)
- Fix/scm clean (opens new window)
- scm delete nows perfoms a clean before deleting the configuration (opens new window)
- Set projectKeyStorage feature flag to be true by default . Fix issu… (opens new window)
- Implement navbar sort priority for menu items (opens new window)
- More API 11 cleanup: remove "xml wrapper" (opens new window)
- Enh: Allow access to Key Storage for Node Resources Script Plugins (opens new window)
- Add splash screen update and stickers section (opens new window)
- project key storage ACL settings (opens new window)
- Mitigate h2 errors on shutdown (opens new window)
- Replacing code that fetches the list of ScheduledExecutions parents to use criteria and improve query time (opens new window)
- Deprecated API endpoint removal V10 and Lower (opens new window)
- Deprecated API endpoint removal (opens new window)
- Update AWS source model plugin version. (opens new window)
- Update base Docker image on new Ubuntu 18.04 image (opens new window)
- Cleanup execution mode in non-cluster mode (opens new window)
- Bump Jetty to 9.4.38.v20210224 (opens new window)
- Add group: and user: urn support for ACL subjects (opens new window)
- Update help text to use quotes on demarcation text (opens new window)
- Add bcrypt credential type for PropertyFileLoginModule (opens new window)
- Remove File Base Project storage capability (opens new window)
- Fix multiple SCM Integration Issues (opens new window)
- Update java access modifiers to enhance extensibility. (opens new window)
- Avoiding error when parsing user roles that contain commas (opens new window)
- Fix: use correct project auth context to eval some project access (opens new window)
- fix for scm ask for import action when changing repo (opens new window)
- Fix: 500 error for workflow API response if no read or view auth (opens new window)
- Fix: Job execution through the API without Node selected by default will fail if nodes required (opens new window)
- Scm configuration deletion (opens new window)
- Fixes the UserGroupSource to pass the username to the script (opens new window)
- Fix/pro1523 (opens new window)
- Deprecated API: version 10 and lower (opens new window)
- Fix: ProjectManager fileCache config requires static config (opens new window)
- Fix: "Show all" button on Jobs list is not clickable #1464 (opens new window)
- SCM Export: Git error 500 happening on manual pulls (opens new window)
- Enhance configurability of InterceptorHelper. (opens new window)
- Fix: "Show all" button is not clickable #1464 (opens new window)
- Support multiple URL's for the grails.serverURL (opens new window)
- Allow dynamic attributes in updated Notification UI (opens new window)
- Add usersync configuration options to Docker Remco templates (opens new window)
- Enable Project based ACLs for Key Storage under keys/project/<NAME>/ paths (opens new window)
- DB migration plugin to streamline upgrade procedures (opens new window)
- Fix: #2301 Changing to keep empty option value (if no value is passed) even if the option has a default value (opens new window)
- Fix #7075 kill job button doesn't work (opens new window)
- Fix #7073 docker rolling logs not working (opens new window)
- Remove legacy log output feature (opens new window)
- initialize cmdDatavariable used in closure (opens new window)
Here is a link to the full list of public PRs (opens new window)
- Imad Jafir (imad6639)
- Greg Schueler (gschueler)
- Luis Toledo (ltamaster)
- Rodrigo Navarro (ronaveva)
- Carlos Eduardo (carlosrfranco)
- Miguel Ramos (mishingo)
- Stephen Joyner (sjrd218)
- Greg Zapp (ProTip)
- Christopher McCarroll-Gilbert (chrismcg14)
- Jason Qualman (qualman)
- Forrest Evans (fdevans)
- Hidekz Hara (hidehara)
- Loren (sornerol)
- Nicole Valenzuela (nvalenzuela20)
- Thiago Laubstein (laubstein)
- Matt Farmer (frmrm)